If you have missing teeth, dental implants are a great option to restore your smile. In addition to replacing missing teeth, implants offer a few other advantages. Clayton, MO, dentist Dr. William Peterson helps his patients keep their smiles full, strong, and healthy with dental implants.
5 reasons to consider dental implants
If you're not sure if dental implants are the best choice for you, consider these benefits:
- No Impact on Surrounding Teeth: If you need to replace one or more missing teeth, you're probably also considering a bridge, a restoration that consists of artificial teeth anchored by crowns on either end. Before you can receive a bridge, the anchor teeth must be filed down to ensure a proper fit. Dental implants don't require any changes to nearby teeth.
- One and Done: Your Clayton dentist will do a consult, and then refer you to a specialist to place the dental implant. Titanium dental implants are placed in your jawbone during a minor oral surgical procedure. Once in place, the implants fuse to the surrounding bone and become a permanent part of your mouth. Although you'll need to replace the dental crowns attached to the implants periodically, your dental implants can last your entire life. If you opt for a bridge or dentures, you can expect to replace those restorations about every 10 to 15 years.
- A Strong Jawbone: Did you know that your jawbone may begin to shrink after you lose a tooth? Shrinking, called resorption, occurs because your tooth roots no longer provide the constant stimulation needed to keep the bone strong. Although a little shrinking may not seem like a major problem, jawbone resorption can cause your teeth to loosen and fall out. Without adequate support from your jawbone, your lower facial muscles may begin to sag, adding years to your appearance.
- Straighter Teeth: Once a tooth is lost, nearby teeth lose much-needed support. As a result, they may begin to drift toward the gap in your smile. Drifting, overlapping teeth don't just affect your appearance but can change your bite and make it more difficult to remove cavity-causing plaque.
- Natural Feel: Dental implants feel like your own teeth because they're rooted in your jawbone just like your natural teeth. Implants offer important benefits for denture wearers. If you choose implant-supported dentures, you won't have to worry about gum irritation or a change in your biting power.
Improve your smile with dental implants! Call Clayton, MO, dentist Dr. William Peterson at (314) 727-4131 to schedule your appointment.