Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are a restorative procedure that beautifies your smile and reinforces your jawbone. Here is some more information your Clayton, MO, dentist, Dr. William Peterson, can provide you with!
What are dental implants?
It's vital to deal with tooth loss as soon as possible. Tooth loss results in the deterioration of bones due to the lack of ample support.
Here is more information about your dental implant procedure:
First, a local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo the procedure. Your dentist will then remove any tooth left and drill a hole into the jawbone, then insert a titanium post into it. The titanium post acts as the new tooth root and is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection. The doctor will then surgically close the area and allow it to heal for a period of three to six months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course. It's important to check in with your doctor periodically to make sure there aren't any problems. After the three to six months, you'll return to your Clayton dentist who will re-open the area, insert an abutment and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
- Implants can have a high success rate, reaching 95 percent, compared to other dental restorations.
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. Peterson can help you out. Call his office in Clayton, MO, at (314) 727-4131 to make an appoint today!