Wondering whether you should get braces in Clayton, MO?
When it comes to getting braces, our Clayton, MO, dentist, Dr. William Peterson, knows that you will most certainly have questions. You may be wondering what the best orthodontic treatment option might be for your lifestyle or you may have questions about the treatment process. Here are the answers to some of the most popular questions regarding braces:
What is the purpose of orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontics, or braces, is designed to fix crooked and misaligned teeth to improve both the overall appearance of your smile and your oral health.
What are the benefits of getting a straighter smile?
Along with a beautiful smile and restored confidence in your appearance, orthodontic treatment can also protect against,
- Gum disease
- Tooth loss
- Damaged teeth
- Jaw problems
- Trouble chewing or speaking
Who is a good candidate for braces?
Most people don’t have perfectly straight teeth so they can often benefit from getting orthodontic treatment. Braces can improve,
- Crooked or twisted teeth
- Gaps or spacing between teeth
- Cross bites
- Open bites
What are the different kinds of orthodontic treatment?
There are several options when it comes to getting orthodontic treatment in Clayton, MO. Popular options include,
- Traditional metal braces
- Traditional porcelain or ceramic braces
- Clear aligners (e.g. Invisalign)
The type of braces that are right for you will depend on several factors including age, lifestyle, dental issues, and budget. This is something that our dentist can discuss with you during your consultation.
How long will I need to wear braces?
This will depend on the severity of dental issues you are dealing with. The average length of orthodontic treatment takes about 24 months but can also range from 18 to 30 months. Those dealing with very minor misalignments may get results in as little as 6 months.
Is it too late to get braces?
It’s never too late to get a straighter smile. While it’s a good idea to have your child come in for a consultation around the age of 7 to see if they could benefit from braces, this doesn’t mean that older teens and adults of all ages can’t also get braces.
Interested? Give us a call
It’s never too late to get a straighter smile! Call our Clayton dental practice today at (314) 727-4131 to schedule a consultation with our very own Dr. Peterson.
Are you embarrassed to smile? Veneers can refresh your smile and boost your confidence! Veneers are placed over the front of your teeth, and they're used to treat a number of different cosmetic concerns. Dr. William Peterson in Clayton, MO, offers veneers to his patients. Read on to find out how veneers can refresh your smile.
1. Veneers can fix your smile flaws. Porcelain veneers are handcrafted and cover the front surface of the teeth. These porcelain shells are bonded to the teeth changing their size, shape, color, and length. They're routinely used to repair teeth that are crooked, chipped, cracked, worn down, misaligned, or irregularly shaped. Gapped teeth can also be fixed through the use of porcelain veneers.
2. Veneers can brighten your smile. If you use smoke, your teeth will darken over time. Pigments from dark-colored foods and beverages and certain medications can also cause teeth stains. Porcelain veneers can whiten your smile and keep them looking their best for years to come. Unlike natural teeth, porcelain veneers resist stains remarkably well.
3. Veneers are natural looking. These days, there's a growing demand for customized, natural-looking veneers created by dental ceramists. Dental veneers look completely natural and will give you a true smile makeover. Your dental veneers will have the same feel, look, and luster as your original teeth. With dental veneers, you will enjoy the confidence of having a beautiful smile.
4. You will look better for longer. With dental veneers, you can enjoy a fresh smile for years to come. With proper oral hygiene and regular dental visits, your dental veneers could last for many years. Porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years. It's up to the patients to protect their dental veneers in order to increase their lifespan.
If you want a beautiful smile, this is your chance! Call the office of Dr. William Peterson at 314-727-4131 right now to schedule a dental consultation in Clayton, MO and get the smile you deserve. It's never too late for a beautiful smile!
Dental crowns provide several important benefits for your smile. Dr. William Peterson offers crowns and other cosmetic dentistry services in his Clayton, MO, dental office.
What are dental crowns?
Dental crowns, often called "caps," protect fragile or damaged teeth, fill gaps in your smile or conceal imperfections. The hollow restorations slip over teeth once they've been prepared. Crowns are often made of porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, ceramic and resin. All of these materials reflect light the same way natural tooth enamel does and are very durable.
Do I need a crown?
Your Clayton, MO, dentist may recommend a crown if your tooth has become fragile, brittle or weak. Small cracks in teeth weaken the structure. Constant stress caused by biting may eventually worsen the crack, increasing your risk of a fracture.
Crowns protect cracked teeth and absorb the strong forces you produce when you chew and bite. The restorations are also a good choice if your teeth are naturally brittle, or they've been weakened by a large filling or root canal therapy. Crowns are available in a variety of natural tooth shades to ensure that your restoration matches the rest of your smile.
Crowns also restore and protect broken and fractured teeth. Broken teeth are not only painful and unattractive but may make chewing much more difficult. Thanks to the addition of a crown, you'll no longer experience sensitivity and can once again eat normally.
Grinding your teeth while you sleep can shorten them. Unfortunately, you may not be aware of the problem until your teeth become noticeably shorter. In addition to affecting your appearance, short teeth may also alter your bite. Your dentist may recommend lengthening your teeth with crowns and suggest wearing a nightguard while you sleep to prevent enamel erosion in the future.
A single crooked or discolored tooth can affect the symmetry of your smile. Fortunately, the problem is easy to correct by adding a crown to the tooth. The restorations are an excellent choice if you would like to change the shape of a tooth.
Do dental crowns sound like a good option for you? Call your Clayton, MO, dentist Dr. William Peterson at (314) 727-4131 to schedule an appointment.
If you have missing teeth, dental implants are a great option to restore your smile. In addition to replacing missing teeth, implants offer a few other advantages. Clayton, MO, dentist Dr. William Peterson helps his patients keep their smiles full, strong, and healthy with dental implants.
5 reasons to consider dental implants
If you're not sure if dental implants are the best choice for you, consider these benefits:
- No Impact on Surrounding Teeth: If you need to replace one or more missing teeth, you're probably also considering a bridge, a restoration that consists of artificial teeth anchored by crowns on either end. Before you can receive a bridge, the anchor teeth must be filed down to ensure a proper fit. Dental implants don't require any changes to nearby teeth.
- One and Done: Your Clayton dentist will do a consult, and then refer you to a specialist to place the dental implant. Titanium dental implants are placed in your jawbone during a minor oral surgical procedure. Once in place, the implants fuse to the surrounding bone and become a permanent part of your mouth. Although you'll need to replace the dental crowns attached to the implants periodically, your dental implants can last your entire life. If you opt for a bridge or dentures, you can expect to replace those restorations about every 10 to 15 years.
- A Strong Jawbone: Did you know that your jawbone may begin to shrink after you lose a tooth? Shrinking, called resorption, occurs because your tooth roots no longer provide the constant stimulation needed to keep the bone strong. Although a little shrinking may not seem like a major problem, jawbone resorption can cause your teeth to loosen and fall out. Without adequate support from your jawbone, your lower facial muscles may begin to sag, adding years to your appearance.
- Straighter Teeth: Once a tooth is lost, nearby teeth lose much-needed support. As a result, they may begin to drift toward the gap in your smile. Drifting, overlapping teeth don't just affect your appearance but can change your bite and make it more difficult to remove cavity-causing plaque.
- Natural Feel: Dental implants feel like your own teeth because they're rooted in your jawbone just like your natural teeth. Implants offer important benefits for denture wearers. If you choose implant-supported dentures, you won't have to worry about gum irritation or a change in your biting power.
Improve your smile with dental implants! Call Clayton, MO, dentist Dr. William Peterson at (314) 727-4131 to schedule your appointment.
Your damaged tooth can be restored with a dental crown. A crown is placed over a damaged tooth like a cap and acts as a protective shell. The crown strengthens the tooth so it can resume biting and chewing functions again without pain or discomfort. In addition to strengthening teeth too weak to perform routine functions, dental crowns also improve the appearance of teeth with cosmetic flaws, such as stains or cracks, by concealing those imperfections. Dr. William Peterson is your dentist for dental crowns in Clayton, MO.
What are Crowns?
Dental crowns provide teeth a new exterior for teeth with damage, extensive decay, or cosmetic flaws. Each crown is custom made to fit over a specific tooth. The crown fits over the corresponding tooth like a cap and completely encapsulates and protects the tooth once in place. Dental crowns are made to look just like natural teeth so they readily blend in with your surrounding teeth. Crowns can give teeth a new look free of cosmetic imperfections, as well as strengthen and restore teeth too weak and damaged to perform normal functions.
Benefits of Crowns
Crowns provide several benefits, from restoring damaged teeth to transforming the appearance of teeth with cosmetic flaws. Another benefit of crowns is that they are cemented over teeth so they will remain in place permanently. The benefits of crowns include:
- Restore and strengthen weak and damaged teeth
- Protect teeth from sustaining additional damage
- Restore regular biting and chewing functions
- Alleviate strain on surrounding teeth that were compensating for damaged ones
- Custom made to fit perfectly and match the appearance of your natural teeth
- Conceal cosmetic concerns, such as stains, discolorations, chips, and cracks
Restore damaged teeth and improve the appearance of imperfect ones with dental crowns. For crowns in Clayton, MO schedule an appointment with Dr. Peterson by calling the dental office at (314) 727-4131.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.